Words without Borders (WWB) is accepting applications for a volunteer poetry editor position. The Poetry Editor will work closely with the Editors to commission and edit the poetry content on Words without Borders, our monthly online magazine of contemporary international literature. The ideal candidate will have strong editing skills, enthusiasm for international literature, and a demonstrated background in translation and international poetry.
- Compile two all-poetry features (3-4 pieces) annually
- Contribute and/or commission contextual essays to accompany features
- Copyedit poetry and essays for features
- Take part in once-monthly editorial discussions
- Review all poetry submitted to the magazine
- Contribute to blog on poetry-related events, and news
- Keep abreast of current poetic trends, writers, translators
- Experience with proofreading and editing
- Strong interest in literary publishing and literature in translation
- Excellent English-language grammar and writing skills
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages recommended
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on a small, dynamic team
This is a part-time, unpaid position. Applicants need not be New York-based.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, two proposals for poetry features, and a writing sample of 1,000-1,500 words, to email@example.com with “Poetry Editor” in the subject line. No calls please.
Words without Borders
Founded in 2003, Words without Borders promotes cultural understanding through the translation, publication, and promotion of the finest contemporary international literature. Our publications and programs open doors for readers of English around the world to the multiplicity of viewpoints, richness of experience, and literary perspective on world events offered by writers in other languages. We seek to connect international writers to the general public, to students and educators, and to print and other media and to serve as a primary online location for a global literary conversation. For more details visit: wordswithoutborders.org
This copy is for your personal, noncommercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.