Full time, From Home (May change in future)
Reports to: Board of Directors
Words without Borders (wordswithoutborders.org) promotes cultural understanding through the translation, publication, and promotion of the finest contemporary international literature. Our publications and programs open doors for readers of English around the world to the multiplicity of viewpoints, richness of experience, and literary perspective on world events offered by writers in other languages. We seek to connect international writers to the general public, to students and educators, and to print and other media and to serve as a primary online location for a global literary conversation.
The executive director oversees the day-to-day operations, including all fundraising activity, management and oversight of the finances, oversight of programs, including the development of the education program, and supervision of staff and volunteers. The executive director works closely with the board of directors to establish policy, seek out new sources of funding, and ensure sound financial oversight. Words without Borders is currently a virtual organization, searching for office space.
Fundraising and Financial Management:
• Responsible for all aspects of Words without Borders fundraising, including grant applications, corporate, foundation and private philanthropy, individual donations, and special events.
• Plan and execute annual gala for 200+ supporters.
• Work closely with the WWB board and staff to cultivate, engage, and steward donors at all levels of giving.
• Ensure prudent fiscal management of WWB, including establishment of salaries, management of expenses, strategic financial planning, and preparation of quarterly financial reports and annual budgets.
• Create Annual Report.
• Work with independent auditor in the preparation of annual statements and 990.
Supervision of Staff and Volunteers:
• Direct a virtual office of 2 full-time and 1 part-time employees, as well as volunteers, to execute WWB’s mission.
• Encourage professional development and continuing education of the staff.
• Provide regular feedback and advice to the staff, including annual performance reviews.
• Oversee all programming, including Words without Borders, print and eBook anthologies, and education programming.
• Report to the WWB board of directors on programming, fundraising, finances, events, publications, personnel, strategic planning, and other matters.
• Coordinate full-board and committee meetings and ensure that members are provided with regular financial and programatic updates.
• Schedule and attend quarterly meetings of all board committees.
• Work with the WWB board to develop and implement a strategic plan and fundraising plan for the organization.
• Articulate Words without Borders mission to funders, volunteers, the educational community, and the media.
• Guide all external relations and collaborations, including website, publications, annual fundraising appeals, and public relations.
• 3-5 years in nonprofit management and fundraising, with a background in the literary arts or literary arts education
• Grant-writing experience with a proven track record
• Experience planning and managing events
• Experience using Quickbooks or similar accounting software and knowledge of standard accounting practices
• An understanding of online publishing/media, including interpreting analytics, with experience in building audiences and conducting outreach via social media.
• Knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM programs, HTML, and Photoshop a plus
Compensation package includes medical, dental, and eye, including dependents, after one month, and retirement contributions of 10% of salary after 2 years.
This copy is for your personal, noncommercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.