Words without Borders (WWB) is accepting applications for an editorial intern position for the Spring of 2014. The Editorial Intern will work closely with the Editors to prepare our monthly online magazine of contemporary international literature. The ideal candidate will have strong editing skills, enthusiasm for international literature, and be able to make a four-month commitment. This is a great opportunity for a literary-minded individual with a passion for publishing and world literature.
- Prepare electronic galleys
- Copyedit and proofread magazine and blog content
- Take part in editorial discussions
- Propose feature ideas for Dispatches, the WWB blog
- Attend and help staff WWB-related events in NYC
- Other interesting tasks as assigned
- Experience with proofreading and editing
- Strong interest in literary publishing and literature in translation
- Excellent English-language grammar and writing skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Expression Engine (WordPress-type)
- Basic knowledge of photo-editing software a plus
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages recommended
- Familiarity with HTML preferred
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on a small, dynamic team
- Bachelor’s degree in Literature, Journalism, Media or related field preferred
The internship requires a commitment of 15 hours a week for a minimum of four months and is based at the Words without Borders office in the West Village. This is an unpaid internship.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and a writing sample of 1,000-1,500 words, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editorial Intern” in the subject line. No calls please.
Words without Borders
Founded in 2003, Words without Borders promotes cultural understanding through the translation, publication, and promotion of the finest contemporary international literature. Our publications and programs open doors for readers of English around the world to the multiplicity of viewpoints, richness of experience, and literary perspective on world events offered by writers in other languages. We seek to connect international writers to the general public, to students and educators, and to print and other media and to serve as a primary online location for a global literary conversation. For more details visit: wordswithoutborders.org
This copy is for your personal, noncommercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution by contacting us at email@example.com.