Words without Borders (WWB) seeks an outgoing, creative, and highly organized Communications Intern for the Spring of 2014. The Communications Intern will report to the Executive Director and work closely with the Editors to promote our monthly online magazine of international literature and related events. The ideal candidate will have strong verbal and written communications skills and knowledge of the international literary landscape. This is a great opportunity for a creative individual interested in developing skills in marketing and communications in the non-profit or publishing fields.
- Maintain, update, and expand the organization’s press list
- Reach out to journalists to pitch press releases and events
- Respond to media queries; track mentions of the organization in the media
- Draft press releases for monthly magazine of international literature and other organizational projects
- Update various social media platforms with compelling copy
- Research and develop ideas for marketing and promoting WWB to new audiences
- Help organize and promote special events in New York City
- Other interesting tasks as assigned
- Strong interest in international literature, media, and/or communications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience organizing social media outreach and campaigns
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Expression Engine (WordPress-type), and social media tools
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages recommended
- Outgoing personality, with the ability to forge new professional relationships, both in person and online
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on a small, dynamic team
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field preferred
The internship requires a commitment of 15 hours a week for a minimum of four months and is based at the Words without Borders office in the West Village. This is an unpaid internship.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and a writing sample of 500-1,000 words, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Intern” in the subject line. No calls please.
Words without Borders
Founded in 2003, Words without Borders promotes cultural understanding through the translation, publication, and promotion of the finest contemporary international literature. Our publications and programs open doors for readers of English around the world to the multiplicity of viewpoints, richness of experience, and literary perspective on world events offered by writers in other languages. We seek to connect international writers to the general public, to students and educators, and to print and other media and to serve as a primary online location for a global literary conversation. For more details visit: wordswithoutborders.org
This copy is for your personal, noncommercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution by contacting us at email@example.com.